Valentine's Day is fast approaching and what better way to celebrate than by making a sweet and delicate meringue recipe for your significant other? With just two simple ingredients - egg whites and sugar - you can easily make meringues perfect for a romantic evening. You can colour them and decorate them with sprinkles for a festive touch. So follow our simple recipe and find out how to make perfect meringues for your Valentine's Day.
Ingredients for +/- 15 meringues
60g egg whites at room temperature
60g granulated sugar
60g caster sugar
The idea is to equalise the weight of the egg whites with that of the granulated sugar and the caster sugar.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff (5 minutes in the Kitchen Aid processor on speed 5).
- Mix the sugars together and sieve them
- Add the sifted sugar 3 times and mix between each addition for 4 minutes (always speed 5)
- Your meringue is ready when it is smooth and shiny, you can put it in a piping bag with the tip of your choice (I took a fluted tip)
- Shape your meringue on a baking tray covered with baking paper, sprinkle with food glitter
- Bake your meringues for at least an hour in a preheated oven at 100 degrees.
- Leave them to cool on a wire rack before eating them